Tuesday, 18 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

SportsPublished: 18 August 2026 at 03:00

Sydney Swans coach 'extremely disappointed' as club weighs standing down players over assault probe

Victoria police are investigating a reported sexual assault at a hotel where the Sydney Swans stayed after their win over Essendon, leaving the AFL club to decide whether to stand down several players involved.

Foto: The Guardian World

Sydney Swans coach Dean Cox said on Monday he was "extremely disappointed" after Victoria police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne to investigate a reported sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

The Swans had stayed at the hotel on Sunday night following their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG, a result that secured the club second place on the AFL ladder and a home qualifying final in three weeks.

Speaking briefly to reporters outside team headquarters on Tuesday morning, Cox said the club was working through the matter with the AFL and other relevant parties and would provide updates as more information became available. He gave no clear answer on whether players could face sanctions and did not confirm whether he had spoken with any of the players involved.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich confirmed on Monday afternoon that several players had been involved in an "alleged incident," but declined to say whether anyone had been arrested. He said the club was cooperating with the AFL and authorities while also running its own internal inquiries, describing the club as "extremely shocked and disappointed."

As of Monday evening, no players had been charged, and the police investigation remains ongoing. The AFL has not yet commented, though its integrity unit is expected to be involved.

Unlike the NRL, the AFL has no automatic stand-down policy for players facing serious charges such as sexual assault. Last season, however, the league stood down Geelong's Tanner Bruhn for the entirety of 2025 over sexual assault charges that were later dropped; Bruhn, who maintained his innocence throughout, returned to play this year.

Any decision by the Swans to stand down players is expected to become clear this week, with the club due to name an extended squad on Thursday before trimming it to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday. Sydney face North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday, followed by a bye during the wildcard round ahead of a home qualifying final. Regardless of the club's decision, the incident has cast a shadow over the Swans' season heading into the finals.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category